Tuesday, May 28, 2013

How to Decoupage

My Weekend Project

One of my students recently gave me a mannequin from his store.  When I brought it home, my family thought I was crazy and asked me what was I going to do with that?  I said decoupage!

If you've never decoupaged before, you don't know what you are missing.  Decoupage is the art of decorating an object by gluing paper to the object. Over the years, I've decoupaged a few things including a box, a tray, and even a table.

Here is a list of supplies that I used:

Elmer's Glue
Printed graphics
Polyurethane (varnish)
Glaze (raw umber)
Paint brush

My mannequin had a hole in her belly.  I patched her up using simple blue painter's tape.  I started with graphics that I got from the Graphics Fairy.  I printed them out on a laser printer.  You can't use a regular printer because when you use the glue the ink will run.  I tore around the graphics and included some blank pieces of paper as well. When I printed the graphics, I kept them fairly small.  I watered down the glue and started applying glue to the mannequin with a paint brush.  Then I added a piece of paper and applied some more glue.  Make sure you apply the pieces of paper in a random matter.  You don't want your design looking too even.

 
 
I kept adding paper until she was covered.
 
 
 
 
I let her dry overnight.
 
The next day, I covered her with a coat of polyurethane.  I used Modern Masters Satin Varnish.  I had some left over from my faux finishing days.  I simply painted it on with a paint brush.  You could also use a spray varnish.  Just make sure whatever you use is water based.  You don't want your paper turning yellow.
 

I let her dry overnight.  The next day, I painted on some raw umber glaze (brown).  You can purchase this at your local craft store or mix up your own using glaze and paint.  Mine was left over so I can't really tell you what I used.  My grandkids asked what I was doing and I told them I wanted to make her look old.  They couldn't understand that!  By applying the varnish before you glaze, you can manipulate the glaze better.  Go light or heavy - it's up to you.  I let the glaze dry overnight and the next day I applied 2 more coats of Satin Varnish and Voilà - my finished mannequin!


My next goal is to find a stand for her to sit on.  If anyone has any suggestions, please share.

Thanks for stopping by.

Until next time...




2 comments:

Patty said...

I LOVE this idea! I just need to find a mannequin!

Unknown said...

Hi Patty,

Glad you like this! I was looking for a stand on amazon and found this great deal: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AEER2SU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is going to be my next project.