Sunday, August 18, 2013

DIY - Make an Upcycled Sweater Pillow and Legwarmers

My Latest Project - An Upcycled Sweater Pillow and Legwarmers from an old sweater



I've been wanting to make one of those adorable upcycled sweater pillows that I have been seeing so much of on Pinterest.  In fact, I have been saving an old black sweater that had a hole in it for just that purpose.  The first step is to decide what size pillow will work for your sweater.  I decided that my pillow would be rectangular in shape and bought a 12 x 16 inch pillow form at my local Joanns.



My next step was to cut out the pillow from the sweater.  Normally when making a pillow, you add an inch all around to the size of the pillow form.  But since sweaters are knits and stretch this step is not necessary.  I learned this the hard way!  In fact, depending on the stretch of your sweater, you may need to trim the pieces even more!

I left about a 6" gap at the bottom in order to insert the pillow form.  I rounded the corners of my pillow when sewing because I hate pointy corners.

Next, I zigzagged the edges.  I didn't want any issues with my sweater coming apart.

Once my pillow form was in place and I liked the way it fit (here's where you may have to make adjustments depending on the stretch), I sewed up the gap using regular thread and voila my new pillow!



Next, I cut off the arms.  After taking them in a bit at the one end and zigzagging the cut edge, I have a perfect pair of leg warmers for my daughter!




I want to make more upcycled sweater pillows so plan a trip to my local Goodwill very soon!

Until next time...

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: