Thursday, November 28, 2013

Fabric Patchwork Wall Art West Elm Knock Off

  I hope you had the chance to try Susan’s recipe, and if you didn't, write it down and make it soon. We all like fast but great, tasty recipes! I know I do!

  Moving from one form of art, cooking, to decorative art, I am going to share a  fabric wall art project with you, one that could be done with very little effort. This summer I saved a picture of a patchwork fabric wall art from West Elm, which I thought was a creative way to play with color, while adding texture to a wall art, and have a unique piece in your bedroom or living room.

   Since I love making illustrations and also sewing, I thought that I can “borrow” :) the idea and make one for myself, in colors that would match my room. I had fun picking the shades of greens and golds, and playing with arranging the shapes. It came out great, I think, and I am ready to make a new one, in shades of blue and chocolate to put it in my son’s room.

   If you make one, you’ll also save money, since the burlap fabric was around $1.00 at Michaels and the frame $10.00 at Ikea. The West Elm piece was $49.00 I think. Here is my burlap fabric.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                   I played with some fabrics, mixing colors and textures....


 



Being a patternmaker I decided to create a template on a 8.5 x11 paper. By drawing the shapes, you can decide their size and how to position them. Cut the fabric rectangles out of fabric and pin them in place.



You need to sew the first layer of fabric first and then the one on top. Keep in mind that my pictures are not taken on day light, so the fabrics look much better in reality.









Secure the burlap with fabrics in place, place it in the frame, and voila!
 
I hope you like it! Let me know what you think.




No comments: