Monday, February 24, 2014

Artist Showcase - David's Wheel

Welcome to another edition of Artist Spotlight, our regular Monday blog.  This week’s artist is David Huff from David's Wheel. David creates beautiful handmade pottery.  Here is one of David’s beautiful pieces:
Tell us a little about yourself and your creative business.

I am an art teacher and a ceramicist. Though I paint and draw, my passion is clay. I learned the basics of throwing in high school continued with this passion in college. As a freshman, my university put one of my pieces in its permanent collection for promising ceramic artists. While going to school I worked at a factory making clay and glazes for potters, and I threw production (oil lamps and mugs) at a production pottery. Finally, I’ve taught ceramics, photography, and English for over 30 years. I have a small studio in San Diego County where I craft items for local galleries. Right now, my Etsy store is starting to generate interest.


How did you get your start?

I’ve always gravitated to the arts. As a child I sang in choir, drew sets for the plays, or worked late into the night in the art room. I was selling my art in high school. I've always dreamed of making a living with my art.

Where do you get your inspiration?

My inspiration comes from everywhere! I am fascinated by Joseph Campbell’s archetypes: ideas can transcend and connect us to each other. The mundane, seen through an artist’s eyes, can be a catalyst for originality. My inspiration comes from animals, plants, or architecture. Ancient ruins and marvelous modern structures all inspire my very eclectic work.


What has been your biggest successful moment so far?
Success comes in many forms. Recently, I’m gratified by a showing in a local gallery that carries my work; but I’m finding smaller, more individual successes through my Etsy store. Lately, I find a lot of success in the personal one to one contact from people who like my work in Etsy.

What challenges do you face selling online?

Trying to connect with people interested in 3D art in a virtual world is most challenging indeed. "Virtual" never completely “gets” 3D sculptural media. I’m finding that my background in photography is especially helpful in my Etsy store


What advice would you give someone just starting out on Etsy?
Find someone who knows how to do advertising or web design to help you develop your site. As an artist, focus on your art. Let plumbers plumb. If I need auto repair I go to an auto guy. As an artist I need to focus on my work. I recommend having a professional get you started. At least let someone set up your store and consult with them as your Etsy business grows.
 
Thank you David for sharing your story with us. Next week we will share another creative and talented artist.  If you would like to be featured, please contact Zoica or myself.  We’re always looking for creative people to showcase.
Thanks for stopping by,
Until next time…
 
 
 
 

No comments: