Monday, June 23, 2014

Artist Spotlight - Debroervandevogel

Welcome to this week's edition of Artist Showcase.  This week's artist is Catherine from debroervandevogel. Here is one of Catherine's beautiful items:


Tell us a little about yourself and your creative business.

My name is Catherine. I’m from Belgium and live in Wemmel, which is near to our capital Brussels.
Designing to me is about creating my own unique world. Therefore I use different materials and let my imagination go free. Lately I’ve been working a lot with polymer clay. I like this medium very much because it makes you create something starting from scratch. It’s like giving shape to color. A design often starts by playing with the clay, very intuitively.  In my designs I'm constantly balancing between adding or reducing. Trying to work by the principle ‘less is more.’ I think in volumes, colors and materials and try to fit all these together into fun, colorful and somehow pure and sober jewelry. I want my jewelry to make you smile!


How did you get your start?

I graduated in Sculpture but for a long time it just didn’t happen.  Once my kids got older and became more self-reliant, it felt like I could spent some time on something just for me. I started my Etsy shop at the end of 2012. It was a big step for me but I felt like I had to try it and I’m so happy I did . Being creative again makes me happy as a child and I consider that as the best reason ever!


Where do you get your inspiration?

I can be inspired by the colors of a painting or an illustration, by organic shapes in nature, urban trends, the repetition in primitive patterns, everyday life,… . Inspiration also comes while working. One design will lead to the next, trying different variations and evolving to my own unique world . I often start to work in a whimsical way.


What has been your biggest successful moment so far?

My biggest accomplishment is to have a worldwide audience. I find it amazing that people who live across big oceans are wearing my handmade jewelry. I find this really extraordinary. My first sale on Etsy was to the United States. I was so excited about it that I couldn’t sleep.


What challenges do you face selling online?

First of all I would say good pictures. If I compare my actual pictures to the ones I had when I started, there is allready a big difference but there is still a lot of room for improvement. Secondly good tags to get found in that big Etsy world!  And of course an excellent customer service.


What advice would you give someone just starting out on Etsy?

Learn how to use your camera! Experiment with backgrounds to find the right atmosphere for your product. Do some research about SEO, tags and descriptions. Join a team so that you can share experiences and learn.

 
 
Thank you Catherine for sharing your story and your beautiful creations with us.  NExt week we will visit another Etsy artist.  If you are interested in being showcased, please let me or Zoica know via Etsy convo.
 
Until next time...
 
Thanks for stopping by,
 
 

No comments: