Monday, September 14, 2015

Artist Showcase - Julamade

Welcome to this week's edition of Artist Showcase.  Our artist of the week is Julia Biesenthal and her shop is Julamade.


Tell us a little about yourself and your creative business.

I have always interpreted the world through patterns and colours.  My studies at Ontario College of Art and Design (Toronto ON) provided the opportunity to explore my creative talents.  I currently live in a small town west of Ottawa ON, where I work as a Graphic Designer full-time. I am a fiancee and a mom to a fur baby.


Ever since I was a little girl, I loved using my mom’s sewing machine to create things with fabric and paper. One year for Christmas, I made each family member heart garlands from an old Japanese paper calendar – they all loved them and encourage me to sell them.  Over a year ago, I decided to make this vision become reality. I wanted to put more energy into working with my hands, rather than only being creative on the computer.  I developed a brand for Julamade – banners and garlands for special occasions. I took lots of time photographing each piece and eventually published them to my shop. From there, Julamade began to grow into what it is today.

Where do you get your inspiration?

PINTEREST. I think that speaks for itself ;) I also like to get inspiration from my fellow Etsy sellers – Etsy is such a beautiful community with lots of creative talent!


What has been your biggest successful moment so far?

One specific successful moment would be when I got an order from a celebrity – Jaime Feld, wife of Keven Zegers. This is the moment where I felt Julamade isn’t so ‘small’ anymore…


What challenges do you face selling online?

I think the biggest problem is delivery times when I ship my items. Unfortunately, it’s not something I can control – and as a perfectionist, that’s not so easy for me to deal with ;)


What advice would you give someone just starting out on Etsy?

Develop a brand. Having an inspirational and consistent look to your shop leaves a lasting impression for a potential buyer. Your brand includes a nice logo and banner, as well as displaying your products effectively. Not everyone is a graphic designer, so don’t hesitate to reach out to a professional. If you need help, I’d be happy to advise!

 
Thank you Julia for sharing your story and your lovely items with us. If you want to see more of Julia, check out her Facebook page. 
 
Each week we select a new Etsy artist to feature.  If you would like to be considered, just send Zoica or me a note via Etsy convo.

Thanks for stopping by...

Until next time,
 

1 comment:

Bàn cầu một khối said...

Xin cám ơn! Mời ghé showroom chúng tôi để xem combo mới nhất nhé:
Bệt TOTO Một Khối MS864T2 Nắp TC393VS giá tốt dành cho bạn