Monday, July 21, 2014

Artist Spotlight - Louise Leder

Welcome to this week's artist spotlight.  Today's artist is Louise Leder from the shop Louise Leder.  Louise creates beautiful statement and artisan jewelry.  Here is one of her beautiful pieces.

 
Tell us a little about yourself and your creative business.
 
My name is Louise. I am an artist and metal smith. I make handcrafted artisan and statement jewelry in sterling silver, gold and mixed metals.
 
 
How did you get your start?

I got my degree in art. My interest at that time was doing portraits. During my course work, I took a jewelry-making class that introduced me to all the basic silver smith techniques. Although I did many commissioned portraits, I was continually drawn back to my hammers and files and torch.
 
 Where do you get your inspiration?
 
My inspiration comes from my raw materials. I love gemstones! The colors, textures and shapes are wonderful. I design my metalwork to showcase the gemstone. But the metal itself is often my inspiration. It can be manipulated in so many unique and interesting ways.

What has been your biggest successful moment so far?
 
I am fascinated by the global market on Etsy. I opened my shop in 2011 and my very first sale was to Australia. That was exciting!
 
 
 
What challenges do you face selling online?

The two biggest challenges for me selling online were my photography and getting found. I had to take thousands of photos before they were good enough to use in my listings. I have spent the last three years getting better and better at it. I still have much to learn! And don't even get me started on SEO! Getting found? I couldn't even find myself! :)
 
What advice would you give someone just starting out on Etsy?
 
My advise to a newbie on Etsy: Take great photos! Use a good camera, and not your phone. Do lots of research to learn how to get found.
 
Want to see more of Louise?  Follow Louise on Facebook.
 
Thank you Louise for sharing your story and letting us see some of your beautiful items.  Next week we'll share another Etsy artist.  If you'd like to be considered, please drop Zoica or myself a note via Etsy convo.
 
Until next time...
 
Thanks for stopping by,
 


No comments: