Monday, December 23, 2013

Artist Spotlight - Susan Newberry Designs

Welcome to another edition of Artist Showcase.  Today I am going to tell you a little bit about me and how I got my start on Etsy.

My name is Susan Newberry and I have always been interested in art and design.  I teach both interior design and fashion design at a local college and have recently stepped in to the world of graphic design.  I started taking classes in graphic design at the school where I teach and found that I really had a knack for it.  My business is Susan NewberryDesigns and I design vintage and contemporary art for kids and adults.  I sell on both Etsy and recently I started selling on Zibbet. 
Here is one of my prints that sums up exactly how I feel.


I started by making handmade greeting cards and began selling them at work.  One of my colleagues told me about Etsy and recommended that I start selling there.  I started my store in March of 2012. Since then my store has evolved to include calendars and graphic prints. I love designing for children as well as adults. My projects range from vintage to contemporary designs. I love typography so you will find quite a few inspirational sayings. Here is one of my favorites:

I love all things design and find inspiration in all things. Color draws me. Art moves me. Typography excites me. My grandkids inspire me. Designing brings me much pleasure and the items I create come from my heart.  You can see evidence of my love for interior design and fashion design in many of my projects. Here are some of my chairs:


and what girl doesn't need a little black dress or three?
 
I’ve had a few exciting moments since I began.  The first was from a furniture store in Canada who asked me to design a calendar for their store.  The second was when I was contacted by a Design Show on the BBC who wanted several of my prints to use on a house they were building for a client.  I was honored that they chose my artwork.  I am eagerly awaiting the show to air even though I may not be able to see it.  I am hoping that it brings business my way!

I've had a few challenges since I began selling online.  One of my biggest challenges has been getting my name out there.  That takes time.  But as long as I am doing what I love, I'm happy.  My advice?
In addition to doing what you love, I would tell sellers to be patient.  I opened my shop in March of 2012 but didn’t really see a lot of traffic until spring of 2013 and things have been moving upward ever since.  I keep reminding myself that my Zibbet store will take some time.
Well that wraps up another edition of Artist Spotlight.  Thanks for letting me tell you my story.
We try and run this column every Monday and we’re always looking for artists to spotlight.  So if you are interested or know someone that we would enjoy reading about please pass on the information.
Thanks for stopping by,

Until next time…

 

No comments: