Monday, March 3, 2014

Artist Spotlight - Lotus Handmade Hoops

Welcome to another edition of Artist Spotlight, our regular Monday blog.  This week’s artist is Eliza from Lotus Handmade Hoops. Eliza creates beautiful hoop earrings.  Here is one of Eliza’s gorgeous pieces.


Tell us a little about yourself and your creative business.

Originally I am from New Zealand an incredibly picturesque country with many mountains, lush green bush and wild coastlines. I moved to Australia with my Australian partner (now husband) so we could pursue our dancing careers. Australia is a magnificent land, with wide open spaces where you can watch parrots in flight, and breathe in the magical smell of eucalyptus and tea tree.
I am a proud Mum of three. This creative work was born out of the need to be with them in their younger years, and of my personal need for freedom and flexibility.

Some people find working for themselves stressful, but I find it incredibly liberating.  I practice yoga. I love to grow organic food, and I adore getting away to the freedom of the beach and coast. I love to walk in the bush.


How did you get your start?

It all started with a vision of how I wanted to live. I knew deep down that there was a path for me as an artisan.

 
Where do you get your inspiration?

Nature, Culture, Freedom. My Celtic and Pacific history have given me a strong sense of tribe/clan/ family…these concepts give me inspiration.
My background as a dancer has given me a love of theatre and movement which has filtered its way into my pieces.

 

 What has been your biggest successful moment so far?

When I realized that producing pieces from my soul and letting my own experiences filter in was appealing to a group of people who wanted what I was making and loved what I love. This realization took me by surprise and set me free! I didn’t have to look around at what was “trending” I didn’t need to compete, I just needed to trust my instincts.
 


 What challenges do you face selling online?

I have recently discovered that another seller (on a different selling platform) has taken not only a design of mine but used the product photo off my site! This sort of thing is a challenge in the online world and it happens to many sellers. The internet has given us so much, yet everything is now very accessible. Steps can be taken though and you are never powerless. Needless to say even though I am in Australia and they are in Germany their listing has now been taken down.

I remind myself that no one can steal my imagination and that the copiers are always playing catch up!



What advice would you give someone just starting out on Etsy?

Do the time. Just like any career learning the craft of selling online takes time and education. Just keep going…

Don’t water yourself, your style or your product down just to appeal to a larger market or to fit in. In my opinion generic is boring (yawn yawn). The excitement is in all those fascinating sub cultures!

I read a quote on a blog which sums it up for me “Speak your truth your tribe needs you”. This means remembering what you are all about and being real.

Thank you Eliza for sharing your story with us. 

 
 
 
Well that wraps up another edition of Artist Spotlight.  We try and run this column every Monday and we’re always looking for artists to spotlight.  So if you are interested or know someone that we’d enjoy reading about please pass on the information.

Thanks for stopping by,

Until next time…
 

No comments: