Monday, December 8, 2014

Artist Showcase - Crochet Monkie

Welcome to this week's Artist Showcase.  This week's artist is Yvonne Wallace and her shop is CrochetMonkie.  Her items and patterns are awesome.  Here is one of her lovely items:


Tell us a little about yourself and your creative business.

I learned crocheting from my mother and my grandmother many years ago. As I was growing up I was very much on and off about it, but for the past few years I can't sit down in front of the tv, or sit down just to relax without grabbing my hook and yarn. The way I do my designs is that I have an image in my head and I try to create something from that image. It can be a lot of trying and failing before I am pleased with the result. When it comes to writing down the patterns I am a bit of a perfectionist, so I also spend a lot of time doing several quality checks. I always write my patterns in two different Languages so I need to be very focused not to make any mistakes. But I love this part of it too.


How did you get your start?

Since I was little I always loved drawing and painting. So for my education I chose illustration and graphic design and later on webdesign and e-business. Even though I spend a lot of my time drawing I also love crocheting and designing new patterns. After a while I had all these patterns written down and stored away, and it wasn't until relatively recently I realized I could share them with others. So that's how my business started. I was a bit nervous at first, but the feedback I got from people has been really positive and wonderful and that inspires me to keep doing what I do.



Where do you get your inspiration?

I find inspiration almost everywhere. When I walk around in town I look at people and what they are wearing and I often think: Could I crochet that? I also get very inspired by the seasons. Christmas, Easter and summer, the changes in weather and the colors in the nature at the time.

What has been your biggest successful moment so far?

My very first sale. I was so excited when the first order came a couple of days after I opened my shop. I didn't have that many items to begin with, so that first sale really boosted my confidence.


What challenges do you face selling online?

The one on one contact with the customer. I do my best to provide good customer service but there are many times I wish I could physically be there to talk to them, show them the actual items so they could get a better sense of what it looks or feels like.

What advice would you give someone just starting out on Etsy?

Be patient. There is a good chance you won't have immediate overnight success. Let people know about you and don't doubt yourself when things aren't going your way. Your hard work will pay off eventually. There are lots of people out there who thinks your creations are amazing, and if you can reach a few of them, they will pass the word on to others and your business will grow.
Thank you Yvonne for sharing your beautiful patterns and your story with us.  If you want to see more of Yvonne, check out her facebook page.
Next week we'll select another Etsy artist to feature.  If you would like to be considered, just drop me or Zoica a note via Etsy convo.
Thanks for stopping by...
Until next time,

No comments: