Monday, April 21, 2014

Artist Showcase - Dahms Studio

Welcome to another edition of Artist Spotlight.  This week’s artist is Kristen Dahms from Dahms Studio. Kristen is an artist and a story teller.  Here is one of Kristen's beautiful pieces:


Tell us a little about yourself and your creative business.

I spend my free time painting and marketing with my little Maltipoo named Archie sleeping by feet. Taking my artwork and turning it into a business has been a lot of work but also a passion. I sell my original works, prints, and greeting cards featuring my artwork. I also run a website/blog
www.KristenDahms.com that promotes my artwork and I share advice about printing, shipping, art festivals, and what I am working on. 



How did you get your start?


Art has been my outlet since I was a child finger painting and continued into adult hood by attending Savannah College of Art and Design and receiving a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Illustration. Now I share my work in galleries and at art festivals. 

 
Where do you get your inspiration?


Nature and animals are my biggest inspiration.  I love texture and patterns. I love taking photos and traveling.



 What has been your biggest successful moment so far?


I was recently asked to be a guest artist at a invite only art gallery in Williamsburg Virginia. I will have my artwork shown September - November 2014 with other talented artist. As an Etsy seller it was flattering having my treasury on the Etsy homepage. I enjoy watching my views, followers, favorite count increase since I have open this shop puts a smile on my face. As an artist I want people to view and enjoy my art work and Etsy has allowed my work to be viewed in more then 30 countries. 



 
What challenges do you face selling online?

Selling online is tough because the buyer can not look and touch your product in person. Having amazing photos, a great description and outstanding reviews gives the buyer confidence in your work.



What advice would you give someone just starting out on Etsy?


Do not give up and trust in your work. Know that you are not going to get tons of sales at first and that it takes time. I read articles on Etsy and looked at other shops in the same market as mine. Learn from others and understand your market and market pricing.


 
Thank you Kristen for sharing your story with us.  Your artwork is truly amazing.
 
That wraps up another Artist Showcase.  I hope you enjoyed learning a little bit about Kristen and see some of her work.  If you would like to be considered for an upcoming feature, just drop me or Zoica a note via Etsy convo.
 
Thanks for stopping by...
 
Until next time,
 
 

No comments: