Monday, January 27, 2014

Artist Spotlight - Kim Rose Colored Glass

Welcome to another edition of Artist Spotlight, our regular Monday blog.  This week’s artist is Kim Rose. Kim is the designer and owner of Kim Rose Colored Glass. Kim creates beautiful hand Crafted stained glass style art.  Here is one of Kim’s gorgeous pieces.


Tell us a little about yourself and your creative business.

I live in a quaint little town on the Grand River in Ontario, Canada with my husband and two of our three children. Life is a little slower here, which really helps with allowing the creativity to flow. I enjoy creating new, one of a kind pieces of art in my studio. Glass paint is definitely my favorite medium. I love how it looks just like stained glass without the possibility of breaking it, because I paint on plexiglass, which is great for kids décor as well. I`ve been using this medium for almost ten years now, but only registered by business in 2006, and shortly after ( 2009 ) opened my Etsy shop.


how did you got your start?

It all began when I moved into my present home. There was a large window in the front door that I wanted to cover for privacy. Since I don't do anything in the conventional way, I wanted something other than curtains. I had seen this cool glass paint in a magazine and thought, "what a great idea.” I painted an exact replica of a stained glass window in my home. It turned out so well, I just had to create more. I gave my creations to family and friends as gifts. It was suggested I try a craft show, so I did...and wow, I was thrilled at how fun, and successful it was, so, for several years I did weekly craft shows and markets. I love the face to face interactions I experienced when selling at shows, but wanted to try selling online as well. I've tried everything from, ads, well known selling venues, to creating, and maintaining my own websites. They have been valuable tools in helping me to get where I am today, a shop owner here on Etsy (my favorite yet) I love the atmosphere here. There is always someone nearby to give advice or lend a sympathetic ear. It feels like family here.


Where do you get your inspiration?

I am inspired daily by so many different things, such as, a song, a commercial or t.v. program, a color, a piece of clothing, or even a dream.  I have been known to get up in the middle of the night to write down my ideas, because they won't let me sleep until I do, he he!


What has been your biggest successful moment so far?

I think my proudest moment in nearly 10 years of business was surprisingly, not when I received 2 awards, or when I was featured in a local magazine, or the entire front page of a local paper (although, I am proud of these accomplishments) but rather, when I was told that the private lessons I was giving to a young autistic student had helped to bring him out of his shell more, he was very proud and happy with his artistic accomplishments during these classes, and was able to communicate, and express that to his family. I was so deeply touched, that it literally brought me to tears. My proudest moment to this day!


What challenges do you face selling online?

Anyone who sells online, knows firsthand, the challenges we face on a daily basis. It's hard to stand out in a crowded market. It can be difficult trying to be different from everyone else.


What advice would you give someone just starting out on Etsy?

My advice...don't be afraid to “toot your own horn." Tell everyone and anyone that will listen about your business. I use every opportunity to tell people about my Etsy shop.......while standing in line at the grocery store, sitting in the waiting room at the doctor’s or dentist, or shopping at the mall. I've handed out thousands of business cards over the years, it's a great way to get yourself out there.  As difficult as it can be, by the same token, it can be amazing. I wouldn't give it up for the world......Etsy, I'm here for life!

Thank you Kim for sharing your story with us.  Want to see more of Kim?  You can visit Kim here:




Well that wraps up another edition of Artist Spotlight.  We try and run this column every Monday and we’re always looking for artists to spotlight.  So if you are interested or know someone that we’d enjoy reading about please pass on the information.

Thanks for stopping by,

Until next time…
 
 
 

No comments: