Monday, December 1, 2014

Artist Showcase - Heart Wishez Studio

Welcome to another edition of Artist Showcase.  This week's artist is Vanessa Turnbull.  Her shop is Heart Wishez Studio.  Vanessa makes unique handmade gifts of glass, fiber and paint.


How did you get your start?

All my life I have loved drawing and painting. So truthfully, I would say that I got my start as soon as a crayon was placed in my hand!!

Primarily self taught, with no further instruction than what I was taught in primary and high school I have loved to explore different medias. To date my most favorite are acrylic paint, glass and fiber. My latest foray is into glass and stone mosaics!

 
Where do you get your inspiration?

Being in nature and observing the beauty and variation in the mood of the weather and the sky has a huge influence on my work. I love all the seasons, and all changes in weather...wind, rain, snow, sun and how these all impact upon the landscape! Combined with my imagination, beautiful scenes form within my mind that must find expression in my work!
 

What has been your biggest successful moment so far?

Being invited to participate in Art Walks in the Rocky Mountain in western Canada, i.e. British Columbia, I so enjoyed having a coffee in the cafes where my art was displayed, listening to the fascinating perceptions of my pieces. People see things in my work that I did not even realize were there! It was a wonderful and inspired realization!
 

What challenges do you face selling online?

The challenges I have are that my pieces are not seen in their full dimension and texture. It is like when I used to see Van Gogh's work in prints...I was not that impressed. When, however, I had the blessed fortune of seeing some of his pieces in the Hermitage in St. Petersburg...I was absolutely enthralled!!!! The thickness of the paint, the texture of the work was seen in it's full glory!!! When people see my hand hooked tapestries in person, the first thing that they do is reach out and touch them. So far I have not been able to provide this experience for people viewing my work on a computer monitor! ;)
 

What advice would you give someone just starting out on Etsy?

The advice that I would give...is to grow and evolve with the changing promotion techniques on Etsy. Read the blogs, read the forums and join teams!! Having a community and connecting with others to cross promote is essential!! Also be prepared for the long haul...it may take some time to develop a presence. The key is to do your best to suspend expectations...and to keep plugging away. Ultimately it will pay off!
 
You can see more of Heart Wishez Studio here:
 
 
 
 
Thank you Vanessa for sharing your story and your lovely items with us.  Next week we'll select another Etsy artist to feature.  If you would like to be considered, just drop Zoica or me a note via etsy convo.
 
Thanks for stopping by...
 
Until next time,
 
 

No comments: