Monday, November 4, 2013

Artist Spotlight - JayciMay

Welcome to our second edition of Artist Spotlight - The newest feature to our blog!  Here we feature fellow Etsy artists and give them an opportunity to share how they got their start, their successes, and the challenges that they face.  If you would like to be considered for this column or if you would like to recommend someone, please let either myself or Zoica know via Etsy Convo. 

This week’s artist is  Jayci.  Her shop is called JacyciMay.  Here is one of Jayci’s beautiful bags:

Tell us a little about yourself and your creative business.
My name is Jayci and I am 39. I am very clumsy and I probably should have a camera crew so others can laugh with me daily over something I've fallen over, knocked over, or just when I create havoc on the Universe. I have a 13 yr old son that is the true joy in my life. I Sew Bags…any kind of bags that I would want to have and use. I make them so that they are soft and comfortable and I like to add hidden pockets where you would least expect them to be.


How did you get your start? I helped my Grandma Pat sew blocks together for quilts when I was little, then after I graduated High School I worked in a Clothing Factory for the Summer. Then I just forgot about it. Last December it just clicked in my head to make Pillow Covers and BAM! here I am :)



Where do you get your inspiration?
 
I love Bright Colors! I walk into a fabric store and when I see fabric I love, i'll just stand in the aisle and stare at it. Things just start swirling together in my head most times. There are times I buy the fabric and stare at it for weeks before I figure out what it wants to be made into!


What has been your biggest successful moment so far?
I sold 10 of my Beach Bags in one order! It was for a Bride to be and she wanted them for her Bridesmaids! I was so excited that I called my best friend, my sister and my Mom! I was definitely on cloud nine!

What challenges do you face selling online?

SEO most definitely! It just seems like things are always changing and I have to make time to change with it.

What advice would you give someone just starting out on Etsy?

Do NOT read and take to Heart all of the Horror stories! If you truly have the talent to do what you love then you will succeed. Don't let others tell you what to do with your dreams. This is your special "thing" and yours only, don't let anyone take that from you! The Best advice I have ever gotten: You will have bad days, maybe weeks, use that time to design and make new things. Keep your mind off of the slow time and keep excited about what you love to do!

Thank you Jayci for sharing your shop and your background with us!
Well that about does it for this edition of our Artist Spotlight.  Don't forget you can recommend yourself or a friend for our next issue.  Just convo me or Zoica.  We'll let you know if you were chosen.
Thanks for stopping by.
Until next time...


No comments: