Wednesday, November 20, 2013

DIY – Easy Knit Fingerless Gloves

This is a simple knitting project that takes very little yarn.  If you know how to knit (K) and purl (P), you can make these gloves.


First, determine how wide you need to make the gloves.  I’m fairly small and I chose to cast on 24 stitches.   I used size 10.5 needles and prefer circular bamboo needles.  Don’t trim the yarn yet (you will use that for closing the gloves). Choose an even amount.   That way when you sew the sides you won’t have the same stitch together. 
I started by doing a rib stitch for 9 rows (or a total of 2 inches).

K-2, P-2, K-2, P-2, etc.

Then I alternated rows:
K, K, K, K, K, etc.

P, P, P, P, P, etc.
K, K, K, K, K, etc.

When you do that you get a definite front and a definite back.  The knit side will be the front and the purl side will become the back.
Determine how long you want your gloves.  I did not count rows but that section measured about  4 ½ inches long. 


Now start your rib stitch all over again. Nine rows of K-2, P– 2, K- 2, P -2, etc.  Make sure that your stitches align with the ones above. 
Finally cast off.  I had a rectangle about 8 ½ - 9 inches long by 8 inches wide.  Using the tails of the yarn you will stitch the sides together, leaving about 1 inch or so for the thumb. 

That’s about it.  You can make several fingerless gloves out of a skein of yarn.  I hardly made a dent in my skein and I made the gloves in just two evenings while watching television.
Will you give it a try? 

Thanks for stopping by.
Until next time…


No comments: