Monday, March 9, 2015

Artist Showcase - Hadley Clay Studio

Welcome to this week's edition of Artist Showcase where our artist is Hadley Sedgwick of Hadley Clay Studio. Hadley has been creating limited edition ceramic goods from her studio on a little island off the coast of Georgia since 2009.  Here is one of Hadley's lovely items:


How did you get your start?

After receiving a BFA from Herron School of Art in Indiana I moved South with little more than my kiln, two dogs, and a dream. I built a workshop on some land, travelled the local art fair circuit and settled in my new space with selling directly to art galleries and gift shops nationwide.

Where do you get your inspiration?

I am inspired by my medium. I love pushing the boundaries of ceramics. I incorporate my love for animals, fascination of color, and passion for clay into my work. When it comes to the products, it’s the stories behind them that inspire.


What has been your biggest successful moment so far?

I am so pleased with the success of Hadley Clay Studio! In November 2014 I was featured on BuzzFeed and it was probably the hugest push for my work to date. Reaching a mainstream audience of that magnitude took my business to another level!


What challenges do you face selling online?

My biggest challenge so far is knowing exactly where to go from where I am now. I have big dreams and lots of ideas for Hadley Clay Studio, but right now I’m pretty much a one-woman show, and I don’t have the resources to see all of my dreams through right away. I try not to get overwhelmed by all of the things I want to do, and I just take baby steps towards my goals and focus on making what I do now the best it can be.


What advice would you give someone just starting out on Etsy?

Address your shop’s presentation. I think the first step is to just allow enough time to really decide what the aesthetic of your business should be and to stay true to that all the way through. It’s important to know who you want your audience/customer to be and keep them at the forefront when finalizing your look.

Thank you Hadley for sharing your lovely items with us.  Want to see more of Hadley? Check out these sites:

Hadleyclay.com

Hadley's Pinterest

Hadley's Twitter

Hadley's Instagram

Hadley's Facebook Page


Next week we'll choose another Etsy store to feature.  If you would like to be considered, just drop Zoica or myself a note via Etsy convo.
 
Thanks for stopping by...
 
Until next time,
 
 


No comments: