Monday, May 11, 2015

Artist Showcase - Pretty Little Thorn

Welcome to this week's Artist Showcase.  Our featured artist is Paula from Pretty Little Thorn. Pretty Little Thorn offers one of a kind romantic and feminine creations, inspired by the Victorian, Shabby Chic, Steampunk, Lolita, Gypsy, Mori Girl and Boho genres.  Here is one of Paula's lovely items:


Tell us a little about yourself and your creative business.

I inherited my artistic nature from my mother, who was one of those women who could do it all. I received a diluted dose of her talent, and can't do it all, but realized many years ago that designing unique accessories is both fulfilling and challenging. Today, I work out of my home in San Diego. I sell my designs privately and at local events, as well as online.


How did you get your start?

Years ago, I worked in NYC, in an office near the bead district. I spent my lunch hours wandering in and out of the shops, chatting with the shopkeepers, and exploring their dusty backrooms and basements. The vintage components I found there became designs, which I sold at local shows. A happy accident was discovering a wonderful button shop. I began to collect vintage buttons, which are so decorative on their own, but when grouped together with other elements, they can make an amazing fashion statement.


Where do you get your inspiration?

I'm inspired by exquisite beads, crystals, filigree, buttons, and all things vintage. The feminine fashions of bygone eras are so inspirational as well.

What has been your biggest successful moment so far?

A professional photographer found my shop on Etsy, and asked if she could take pictures of a model wearing my accessories. Her photos were published, and generated many sales for me.


What challenges do you face selling online?

My biggest challenge to selling online is the phenomenal amount of competition within the marketplace. To combat that, I keep my designs original for customers who prefer one of a kind accessories that can't be found elsewhere.


What advice would you give someone just starting out on Etsy?

I think the appearance of an Etsy shop is paramount to attracting shoppers. One very important aspect of that is having clear, bright photographs. Good photographs are often selected for treasuries, which are a great way to be seen.


Thank you Paula for sharing your story with us.  Next week we'll select another Etsy artist to feature.  If you would like to be considered, just drop me or Zoica a note via Etsy convo.

Thanks for stopping by...

Until next time,

No comments: