Monday, June 8, 2015

Artist Showcase - Nisee's Needles

Welcome to this week's Artist Showcase.  Our artist is Denise from Nisee's Needles.  Denise makes beautiful knitted items including scarves, mittens and gloves, and baby blankets.


Nisee's Needles is the fulfillment of a lifelong dream to have a small shop in which to showcase my hand-knit creations. I taught myself to knit around age ten and have adored the craft ever since. While I was busily teaching children for thirty-three years, the Internet was born and grew to include e-commerce, Etsy and my opportunity to open my "virtual shop."


My inspiration stems from the colorful, amazing fibers so readily available now, from classic designs loved for their comfort and utility and from my fellow knitters. There has been an explosion of interest in the craft, and I particularly love to observe the innovation and creativity of other artists. I often lose myself on Ravelry exploring the wonderful work of others.


My shop is a great source of pride to me, and I have experienced a number of successes since opening. I am particularly proud that I am now seeing customers return to Nisee's Needles, and that my custom orders are growing in number. My challenges stem from a lack of technological expertise (my skills were learned "on the fly" while teaching), as well as being somewhat inept in the social media realm.
 

Which brings me to advice that has served me well: stay teachable. My Etsy experience has been a wonderful journey thus far, one that has been more challenging than I ever imagined, and more fun. There are helpful people and a wealth of resources on Etsy; each time I have hit a snag I've found the answers I needed. Nisee's Needles is an ongoing work in progress, and I learn something new every day. I have become a small business owner, more technologically proficient, AND I have a wonderful creative outlet. Who knew this is where my dream would take me? It amazes me every day.
 
 
 
Thank you Denise for sharing your story with us.  If you would like to be considered for a future Artist Showcase, just drop me or Zoica a note via Etsy convo.
 
Thanks for stopping by...
 
Until next time,
 

 

No comments: