Thursday, October 3, 2013

DIY - How to Knit a Quick and Easy Scarf

I just finished a quick and easy scarf for my granddaughter.  If you have never knitted before, don't worry because you can do this.  I recently picked up knitting again after many years (decades really) of not knitting.  This particular scarf took less than 1 skein of yarn and three evenings (while watching TV).  I used a boucle type yarn that I picked up at Michael's on sale.  I used circular bamboo needles, size 15.  The larger the needle, the larger the stitch and the quicker it goes. I don't like the metal needles because the yarn tends to slip and the circular needles keep your knitting from falling off.  They will cost a little bit more but are definitely worth it.

Here is an example of the yarn that is available.  These are from Joann's.

Lion Brand Homespun Yarn

Circular Knitting Needles:
Clover Bamboo Circular Knitting Needles 36''-Size 15

To get you started check out some YouTube Videos on casting on.  There are several ways to cast on.  

I cast on 15 stitches.
The first row was: Knit (K), Purl (P), Knit (K), Purl (P) - all the way to the end of the row.
The second row was Purl (P), Knit (K), Purl (P), Knit) (K) - all the way to the end of the row.
Repeat the first row.
Repeat the second row.
And so on.  It is that simple. 

 
 
Here is a close-up of the pattern.  See how loose it is.



When you're scarf is long enough, check out another YouTube video to learn how to cast off. 

My scarf is about 6 1/2" x 48".  Adjust your scarf based on who will be wearing it.  That size is perfect for a 5 year old!.



I still have yarn left over from that original skein.  My granddaughter has requested legwarmers!  More on that later!

If you've never knit or it has been a long time, there are lots of excellent YouTube videos to get you going.

Thanks for stopping by.

Until next time...


No comments: